Saturday 24 November 2012

Society for the Eradication of Mosquitoes - join here.

Now that I'm better, and have been discharged, I feel I can post this:

The first major incident of our trip occurred this week, when i was admitted to hospital in Vietnam with dengue fever. Some BITCH of a mosquito decided she liked the taste of my blood, and that one bite led to a temperature of 39 degrees, sweats, chills, vomiting and blinding headaches.

I convinced myself I had malaria, and staggered off to the local hospital to pay the equivalent off a small portion of the euro zone debt for tests and drugs. And then cute, floppy haired doctor tells me it's dengue fever and I have to be admitted until my white blood cell count is at a certain level. Cute floppy haired doctor may look all chilled out and yummy, but he is taking no prisoners (or rather, he is, as I am his prisoner here), and every time I mention leaving, or going for a walk, or refuse my Vitamin C intravenously - damn, that hurts - he mutters dark words about risk of haemorrhage.



Looking puffy and weird and attached to a drip. Not my finest hour.


I have therefore spent the past few days relegated to my bed, attached to my drip and hoping fervently for the following things:

1) the mornings blood test comes back showing my white blood cells are multiplying faster than a bunch of rabbits.

2) the 'Jerry Springer' type family who live opposite the hospital stop screaming and singing and go to sleep.

3) That the loudspeaker van that comes round every evening around 10pm, and which I can't work out whether or not is an ice cream seller or a party political broadcast, SHUTS UP.

Vicky has been amazing. Truly, truly brilliant, I would have had a breakdown if it wasn't for her. She has sorted out all the travel insurance, arranged for us to stay longer in Hoi An, has spent hours in the hospital with me (including staying here on my first night). She's lovingly bossed me into eating, gone out to get sodas, sim cards so I can e mail, spring rolls and anything else I need. She asked the doctor the important questions while I was in the corner groaning in agony, and has generally been an all round superstar (we'll sweep the getting caught by cute floppy haired doctor bringing in a bottle of gin under the carpet for now). She's even arranged for one of the tailors that Hoi An is renowned for to come into the hospital and measure me up for a dress I'd chosen. The rest of the tour group deserve a mention too, they all popped in to say hello, bearing flowers, balloons, baked beans and vodka.



Vicky making gin and tonic (strictly for her) in my hospital room.


But now I've been here five nights, and its time to go. I want out of here. I want to go shopping, swim in the pool and hit the beach. I want to wash my hair and have a proper shower. Eat the white rose dumplings that Hoi An is famous for. Have a beer. Have a dress made. Freedom awaits.......


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Pacific Hospital, Hoi An, Vietnam

1 comment:

  1. Now that you are better, I feel I can post this: it'll make a hell of a story for when you get home (please let it be your only foreign hospital experience!) but I am very relieved to hear you are on the mend. and hoorah for awesome travel buddies!
    -Charl

    ReplyDelete